Atlas Rotary Fly Tying Vise
The Atlas rotary fly tying vise is an excellent choice for both newbies and seasoned fly tiers alike. It comes from Wolff Industries, a name trusted by many fly fishing enthusiasts. The question is, will this tool be a great buy for you? Don’t pick any vise on the market without first reading this review.
When searching for the best fly tying vise to buy, there are four important aspects to consider, namely: the design, quality of materials, craftsmanship, and the price. Thus, we’ve reviewed the Atlas vise with these criteria in mind. Below are details about its features, strengths and weaknesses, and our overall impression about it.
Specs, at a glance
|Vise style||True rotary|
|Base style||Pedestal only OR pedestal plus C-clamp|
|Hook capacity range||32 to 7/0|
|Has a bobbin cradle||No|
|Has a warranty||Yes – Lifetime!|
Features of Atlas rotary fly tying vise
- True rotary type –this tool’s bent rotary shaft lends its seamless 360-degree and wobble-free rotation.
- Stainless steel construction – the parts are made of the following materials: 440C and 303 steel for the body and 0-1 tool steel for the jaws.
- Grooved jaws – the grooved jaws are replaceable for handling hooks of various sizes.
- Long-throw cam lever – the lever is easy to use; the whole mechanism locks securely.
- Ball-end levers – no-slip hold on the levers because of the rounded ends.
- Two available options for the base – you can choose between pedestal only and pedestal plus C-clamp options.
- High-quality materials – this fly tying vise is made of materials known for their exceptional strength and non-corrosive quality.
- Durable construction – it is built to last, with well-machined parts and solid assembly.
- Tough jaw – the jaw material is 0-1 tool steel, which is known for its hardness and resistance to wear.
- Comes with a spring-type material clip– most companies don’t include this accessory.
- Customizable for left-handed users – there are instructions for reversing the wing nut screw on the spindle and the thumb screw on the main rotary body. Doing so optimizes the ease of use by left-hand users.
- Portable– it is perfect for traveling if used with the C-clamp. It’s also very simple to take apart and reassemble.
- Heavy, stable pedestal– the weight of the base prevents tipping over especially when making large flies and spinning deer hair.
- Long rotary handle– it gives you full leverage and control. The handle’s ball end is a well-thought-out design, too.
- Has separate friction knob and spindle lock – this feature adds to the tool’s stability. It gives the user maximum control over the adjustments.
- Affordable – at less than 200 bucks, this is easily one of the cheapest fly tying vises of the true-rotary type.
- USA-made – its after sales service will be easier to access than brands made overseas.
- Has a limited lifetime warranty – it is warranted to be free of defects in material and workmanship for its full useful life.
- Does not include a bobbin rest – you can instead buy the attachment as an add-on.
- Cam lock needs a little getting used to – you will not hear that familiar clicking sound as you lock the cam. It’s a minor thing. This is just to tell you that the Atlas cam system involves a bit of a learning curve.
- The knobs and thumb screws are plastic – others prefer brass. The plastic material though does not affect its performance.
- The rotary handle unscrews– the rotary handle loosens with frequent use. A thread locker fixes this minor issue.
- The stem holder also unscrews with constant use – if used as the permanent base, the stem holder needs a thread locker to keep it from loosening.
We know that you need the tiniest bit of information about the Atlas Rotary Fly Tying Vise and we hope we have provided that. Fly tying is not only a necessary step in fly fishing. It is, in itself, a fulfilling art and hobby. For that reason, you need the best and most reliable tool. We’re happy to say that we were quite impressed with this Atlas vise.
In terms of quality and functionality, it passed our criteria with flying colors. Surely, many high-end fly tying vises out there have more bells and whistles to boast of. At this price point, however, this Atlas vise more than delivers. It has some minor flaws as we have mentioned above, but those are far outweighed by its outstanding qualities.
So if you’re looking for a solid fly tying vise but budget is an issue, then Atlas Rotary Fly Tying Vise is it!
With a lifetime warranty, you have less to worry about!!
We strongly recommend it for single-person non-professional use to fly fishing aficionados out there. Thank you for referring to our reviews! We hope that you found what you were looking for.